Rainbow

Rainbow

Tuesday 15 May 2012

The Invasion

It's been weeks since the invasion of my inseparable shadow. I'm in desperate need of space.

Though it does wonders for my self-esteem to be highly desirable, it does nothing for my sanity. I wonder why the sudden change? Baby C used to be content playing on her own or with her brother but have since morphed into the shadow that lurks all day.

When I'm at the computer, she has to be seated on my lap. It's impossible to check emails, FB or do anything remotely productive with her plonked in front of the computer. She jabs at the keyboard with fervour and monopolizes the mouse.

The kitchen with all its potential dangers has become her playground when I am cooking. I closed the door to the kitchen once, leaving her outside. Her insistent knocking and dramatic crying made it very hard for me to focus on the task at hand. So now she's in the kitchen with me when I cook, having the time of her life; emptying the laundry basket, maneuvering the dustbin and attempting adrenaline inducing stunts such as climbing on a stool to reach for plates in the dish drainer (actually the technique is more grab and drag to the ground). 

I'm not spared from her prying eyes even when I'm in the bathroom. She's there when I'm taking a shower and there when free smells are generously released. Too close for comfort.

She clings even in the still of the night. I used to ignore her cries and she'll go back to sleep after a short while. Now, she has to be held. I'll oblige from time to time. Or if I'm feeling really crappy and my maternal instincts numbed by sleep deprivation, will walk out of the room and sleep on the sofa. She protests with loud cries but decides to go back to sleep when she doesn't see me in the room. It only works when I am NOT in the room. I'm usually too exhausted to go back to bed and end up sleeping on the sofa till morning.

Where did my easy-going baby go? Mums need to think in terms of phases in order to maintain sanity. The consolation that it'll pass helps in raising the endurance threshold. Just don't ask how long it'll take for the saga to be over.

The paradox: I am loving the squeals of delight, complete with the stamping of little feet in excitement and a little celebratory dance (her version is swaying from side to side) that greets me after I'm away from her for an extended period (that could mean just half an hour). I go out for a quick dinner. She cries pathetically when she sees me leave. And when I return, open the front door, the sight of her being so ecstatic at having me back, makes me fall in love with her all over again. Well, at least until the next cling and whine episode ......

Don't give me the look. No, I'm not changing my mind about needing space!





14 comments:

  1. Kids go through different kinds of phases, it seems. This will pass, could be sooner, could be later. Waiting for my baby to exit from e bottle-rejection and rocking to-sleep phases..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there! Saying that to myself too :) before we know it, we'll having a leisurely meal together whilst the kids play nicely with each other. A bit of positive thinking doesn't hurt right haha

      Delete
  2. Yes my girl goes through "mood swings" too. Sometimes my Lil girl can be so clingy, but sometimes she is like in a little world of her own. Either way, I enjoy the extra loving or quiet time she gives me :)

    Thanks for linking up at WW parties :) Good to meet you at SMB too!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what you call it - extra loving :) I guess my girl will have more of those in a world of her own moments as she grows older.

      Delete
  3. Ah! I can so identify with this post! I'm dealing with his waking up in the middle of the night and crying for me thing now. We don't sleep in the same room so I have to drag myself next door and stay with him till he falls asleep again. Often, it means I'll end up in his room for the rest of the night and wake up with shoulder aches and back pain from sharing the small mattress with him :( I wonder when will this phase pass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you. Disturbed sleep makes me feel very lethargic the next morning. And poor you have to squeeze, at least I get a sofa all to myself ;)

      Don't you wish you can stay in some fancy hotel - king size bed, high thread count linen, fluffy pillows and sleep as much and as long as you like. That's my fantasy hehehe

      Delete
  4. Poor Joce turning into lady Gaga or should I say Mama Gaga? It will get better... This is the age where Chloe is recognizing that she is no longer a part of you but is yet terrified of the new reality. Hence she's so clingy and needy. Got to keep encouraging her to be independent so that she feels confident to be left on her own. Else get big Kor Kor to keep her company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I used to go gaga over the baby until ... yeah she actually toggles between being fiercely independent and being clingy. Confusing huh? For both me and her :(

      Delete
  5. Joce,

    SAME SAME!! At times I wish he would leave me alone for just 10 minutes to bathe in peace, but then at other times I miss him so much I don't want to be away from him!

    Motherhood. What joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I might be ranting about this but I know I'll miss her badly if I go for a holiday without her. But right now, I really NEED the staycation. Just one night ....

      Delete
  6. Lol, this sounded so familiar as i was reading it. I've been calling red 'superglue' for a while now, and I AM FERVENTLY HOPING that it is JUST A PHASE...:) Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is. Keep positive, mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a phase! They grow up too fast and we'll be missing their sticky ways when the tables are turned and they are the ones telling us that they need space :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally feel you. It's amazing how much mess someone so tiny can create huh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pint-sized terror! But she more than makes up for it with the affection she lavishes on mummy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...